[MPlayer-dev-eng] [FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg/MPlayer/rtmpdump possibly searching for a new server and hosting

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Sun Jul 19 12:59:34 CEST 2015

Le decadi 30 messidor, an CCXXIII, compn a écrit :
> I also trust JB.
>
> But I remember the libav fork and some vlc devels/admins during that
> time.
>
> http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2011-January/106458.html
>
> i think vlc would be a good host as long as JB is there.

Sorry for not helping in this issue, but I have a few side projects that
really need to show progress before summer's end.

Regarding the trust issue for accepting hosting:

To avoid the project's servers from being hijacked by a rogue operator, I
believe the three following conditions are enough:

C1. control of the DNS domain;

C2. a working efficient deployment procedure;

C3. up-to-date backups of the data (including the deployment procedure, but
    the volatile data is the most important) kept by trusted people.

If a project has that, then it can undermine any rogue operator's doings by
migrating the server to a new hosting in a few hours.

And of course, a project should have that even if it does not fear rogue
operators.

As far as I understand, FFmpeg is lacking C2, and possibly C3, because the
admins never got on to it; I definitely can not blame people for
procrastinating. And I read in this thread that the current hosting crisis
is motivating them to actually do it.

Therefore, I believe the trust issue, the fear of rogue operators, should
not be the main guide of the choice.

Regarding OVH:

About a year ago, a group of people I belong to lost their hosting brutally
and decided to switch to a commercial dedicated server. The discussion went
between OVH and Online, the two major French host providers. Online was
finally chosen, because a few members had a better experience with it, but I
do not remember the specifics.

Personally, I consider JB's offer to be very interesting, even if JB were to
leave. After all, it would only cause a problem if he were to leave
abruptly AND if his replacement were untrustworthy AND if an attempt at
hijacking happened soon after. I do not believe that anyone would want to
hijack FFmpeg badly enough to infiltrate VLC and then assassinate JB.

I also consider sponsors offers "we pay a dedicated server but the contract
is in your name" to be very good: if the sponsor stops, we have until the
end of the payed term to find new hosting.

Why not accept both offers?: VLC for the main hosting, and a commercial
dedicated payed by a sponsor as a secondary, kept in sync and ready to take
over if the VLC hosting fails. The secondary does not need to be as powerful
as the primary, making it easier to find sponsors.

Well, since I am not actually helping in the work, this is a bunch of
yakafokon¹, I hope some of it was useful.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George

1 : yakafokon = "'y a qu'à, 'faut qu'on" = "there's only to, we must" in
    French.