[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch] gui ignores mplayer volume option

Stephen Sheldon sfsheldo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 22:44:32 CEST 2014

On 7/29/2014 10:08 AM, Ingo Brückl wrote:
> Stephen Sheldon wrote on Tue, 22 Jul 2014 12:44:19 -0700:
>
>> Here is a patch for the windows GUI to use the skin defaults for volume
>> and balance.
> Doesn't work for me.
>
> The guiInfo members get loaded with the defaults, but when GUI_SET_AUDIO is
> called they are all 0.
>
> I've spent the whole freaking day to figure out why and didn't know whether
> it's a Wine, dsound or thread issue. It turned out that probably it's the
> latter, because holding the values in the gui_t gui structure and copying
> them into guiInfo later seems to work. (But then, volume and balance control
> of the Win32 GUI seem buggy...)
>
> I'm lacking some Windows thread programming experience here. Maybe
> someone could explain to me the existence and instance(s) of guiInfo
> inside GuiThread() and outside.

I installed Wine on my Fedora 20 installation (64-bit only was a bit of
a challenge), compiled MPlayer for it,
and I got the same results you did.  When the GUI came up the volume
slider was at 0, and when the video
started it was at 100.

The difference between mygui and GuiInfo is that mygui is static outside
the scope of a function, which I thought
meant file private, and GuiInfo is not static, and referenced from
several files.

I thought that one explicitly declared thread local storage in windows;
you did not get it automatically.  I will
research some more.