[MPlayer-dev-eng] locale in GUI

Hans-Dieter Kosch hdkosch at kabelbw.de
Thu Mar 14 02:21:11 CET 2013

Ingo Brückl wrote:

> If the user is giving wrong information about his filename encodings, he
> can't expect to see readable names, but he can expect to get the unreadable
> file played.

Right, but users may just want to install and play, they may have no idea about
such stuff. So, how could we help them, filtering env vars as good as possible
or explaining in the man page, or ... ?

> The only real problem remaining is a @locale in G_FILENAME_ENCODING (resp.
> G_BROKEN_FILENAMES) which we don't honor because of our not setting the
> locale.

This could be fixed by my patch to filter these env vars, but Reimar's patch to
become independent of them should also be a good way.

> The filenames may look ugly then, but they can be played.

My original problem was that the playlist menu didn't preselect an entry because
'(old_path=g_filename_from_utf8())==NULL'.