[MPlayer-dev-eng] locale in GUI

Ingo Brückl ib at wupperonline.de
Wed Mar 13 10:35:32 CET 2013

Reimar Döffinger wrote on Wed, 13 Mar 2013 10:01:53 +0100:

> The only real fix is to get rid of setlocale on an API level and replace
> it by something that works.

It is interesting where a falsely configured environment variable has led us.
There is absolutely no problem with the GUI (at the moment) with regard to
the locale.

Yes, the GUI can't handle all mixed or falsely stated filename encodings at
the moment and I will fix it (currently testing with EUC-JP, UTF-8 and
ISO-8859-1 filenames at the same time).

If the user is giving wrong information about his filename encodings, he
can't expect to see readable names, but he can expect to get the unreadable
file played.

The only real problem remaining is a @locale in G_FILENAME_ENCODING (resp.
G_BROKEN_FILENAMES) which we don't honor because of our not setting the
locale. The filenames may look ugly then, but they can be played. We could
issue a warning which may be annoying though.

Ingo