[MPlayer-dev-eng] locale in GUI

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Wed Mar 13 08:50:58 CET 2013

On 13 Mar 2013, at 01:03, Hans-Dieter Kosch <hdkosch at kabelbw.de> wrote:
> Ingo Brückl wrote:
>> Reimar Döffinger wrote on Tue, 12 Mar 2013 20:38:45 +0100:
>>> Attached is a proof-of-concept.
>> If mixed (also falsely stated) encodings is a request, I'll implement it, but
>> in order to see the filenames readably you still have to set some environment
>> variables almost nobody knows about using arbitrary rules.

My biggest complaint is with filenames displaying just fine but then things breaking in an incomprehensible way when you click on them, which I think is what can happen currently.
Moreover I can't see any good argument for the current code - as far as I can tell it is more complex than code that actually works reliably - at least i the sense "if you click on a filename that fike will play". Whether the file names actually look readable still depends on setting things up properly in some cases and is not really fixable in some corner-cases.
Also in my opinion it is best to separate the strings a GUI displays from the actual data they represent.

> Mixed encodings are really ugly, but they may happen...
> My G_FILENAME_ENCODING came from my SuSE distribution, I never payed attention.
>
> Attached a first idea to cope with the environment:
> If we find UTF8 in the env (LC_ALL, LANG), unset G_FILENAME_ENCODING.
> Otherwise, remove '@locale' in the first place (relevant for file names), hopefully the rest is useful.

Why would that be better than my solution that completely avoids the issue by not using from_utf8, also happens to work for mixed encodings and simplifies the code?