[MPlayer-dev-eng] Flickering video when resizing

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Sat Jan 19 17:19:54 CET 2013

Le septidi 27 nivôse, an CCXXI, Ingo Brückl a écrit :
> I'm not sure whether I got you, but after commenting out all X background
> stuff, the flickering disappeared.

The principle is this: when a window has a background (either color or
pixmap) and is exposed, the X11 server fills it with the background, and
then generates the expose event; if it does not have a background, it will
just keep whatever happens to be in the video memory: contents of the window
below or the screen background, traces of a window moved on top of it, etc.
You can what I am talking about by suspending a firefox instance and then
moving its window around.

I do not know how that interacts with compositing managers.

> I now have to figure out whether it is possible to switch off X window
> background attributes during playback, because I need it otherwise for the
> video window without playback.

I am not sure it is possible to unset the background color once it has been
set; setting a transparent background pixmap looks like an ugly hack. I can
suggest at least two ways of solving the problem:

- Use a different window during playback: one with no background, while the
  normal one has its background; swapping the windows should be quite fast.

- Use a window without background, and when playback is not running, handle
  expose event to manually fill with a color.

I am not sure exactly what would be best, as I did not catch exactly what
window it was about.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George