[MPlayer-dev-eng] libdvdread4 messed up with libdvdcss

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Sun Apr 28 19:17:11 CEST 2013

On 28/04/13 13:17, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> wrote:
>> On 28/04/13 04:40, Zongyao Qu wrote:
>>> I downloaded libdvdread from
>>> http://git.videolan.org/?p=libdvdread.git;a=summary
>>>
>>> It seems libdvdcss has deleted some deprecated stuff in
>> dvdcss/dvdcss.h,
>>> precisely
>>> ​the definitions of ​
>>> dvdcss_interface_2
>>> ​ and dvdcss_handle
>>>
>>> but dvd_input.c in libdvdread4 ​is still using it.
>>
>> I fixed that in the obsolete mplayerhq version, but not in the videolan
>> fork.  I'll try to find a moment to port my patches to the new tree.
>
> So far the mplayerhq one is still the official one and not obsolete.
 > The fork maintainers have refused to make their forks the official one,
 > they refuse to merge their changes despite having commit access, they
 > complain about how SVN is maintained even though they maintain it as
much as anyone else.
> I don't know who started this shit, but it sure is about maximally messed up.

j-b is working on porting the Subversion repository to Git.  Once that
is finished, it will be announced properly, mailing lists set up, etc.

libdvdread/libdvdnav have been in a poorly maintained state for years.
They're the VLC top crashers even though optical media are going the way
of the dodo. There was a branch with fixes from Erik, but he only merged
into svn master once or twice a year (at least it felt that way).  The
master branch seemed to basically rot and no conversion to Git was planned.

If you look at the above Git repository for libdvdread, you will see
more activity than the mplayerhq version has seen in years.  Diego
Pettenò has rewritten the build system in a branch and merged the two
libs in another for example.

I think it's similar to what happened with libdvdcss after porting it to
Git.  Fresh blood and much more activity.  I believe libdvd* will
prosper under the VideoLAN umbrella.

Diego