[MPlayer-dev-eng] Crash with unsharp filter and x264 mp4 files

Ingo Brückl ib at wupperonline.de
Tue May 29 17:59:25 CEST 2012

Since a short time ago (can't exactly say since when) I'm noticing a strange
behaviour with x264 encoded mp4 video files which I blamed the files for,
thinking they were buggy, but they aren't.

When playing those files with the unsharp filter (l7x7:1.7), there are some
greenish stripes at the top of the video and after a while MPlayer crashes
after printing "Ran out of numbered images, expect crash. Filter before vo
is broken." Without the filter, everything is fine.

You can experience this with one of our sample files, namely
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/V-codecs/h264/mp4_h264/h264_parser.mp4
although this sample is too short to cause the crash.

I've had an issue with this filter once before (some alignment issue on
ffmpeg's side if I remember correctly). Any idea what it might be this time
(side effect of recent changes concerning frames / direct rendering?) or
what I should do to track it down?

Ingo