[MPlayer-dev-eng] Allow compilation with Libav

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Thu Jan 5 00:12:26 CET 2012

On Mon, Jan 02, 2012 at 05:42:39PM +0100, Nicolas George wrote:

> But for the long run, we will not escape addressing the point of the API/ABI
> compatibility between ffmpeg and libav.

> Unfortunately, most of the leaders of libav

You are confused, there is no such thing.

> seem to not care about it at all, and if I had to take a guess, I may
> say that some of them enjoy the prospect of breaking compatibility.

Your impression does not appear to take into account two Libav people
working on MPlayer.

That said, for compatibility between FFmpeg and Libav the onus is on the
downstream project, FFmpeg, to keep compatibility with its upstream as
it adds extra features.

It's not at all clear to me what you want Libav to do wrt API/ABI
compatibility.  Could you elaborate?

Diego