[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] configure: print "recommended codecs"

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Dec 2 11:59:08 CET 2012

On 2 Dec 2012, at 11:22, Nicolas George <nicolas.george at normalesup.org> wrote:

> Le duodi 12 frimaire, an CCXXI, Reimar Döffinger a écrit :
>> Maybe we should cut it down to the minimum?
>> They were added for a reason, but keeping it might not make sense anymore.
>
> Well, it does not make any harm either. But adding to it will probably have
> not much useful effect.
>
> I have a piece of shell that can produce the following output (including
> 80 columns word-wrap, I was in a playful mood

looks interesting if it's not too complex.

>  Enabled optional drivers:
>    Input:     important: dvdnav(internal) networking
>               useful:    ftp pvr tv-v4l2 tv librtmp live555 cddb cdda bluray
>                          vcd dvb
>               minute:    libdvdcss(internal) dvdread(internal)

I didn't handle that since it's a real rat's nest.
For example dvdnav makes no sense without dvdread (plus, for me dvdnav is still worse in most cases). Nor do IMHO make any of these sense without dvdcss.
There's also issues like nemesi and live555 implementing the same thing basically and having both makes no sense.
cddb seems of questionable use to me, vcd is only available on Linux I think, as are a few others (are there really pvr users around?)

>    Codecs:    important: ffmpeg(internal) libopus
>               useful:    libvpx libschroedinger x264 xvid libdv
>                          libopencore_amrwb libopencore_amrnb faac
>                          libmpeg2(internal) liba52 libtheora libgsm speex
>                          liblzo OpenJPEG
>               minute:    real xanim faad2 libdca libmad

Stuff that is only useful for encoding shouldn't be mixed in, people usually know what they need for encoding anyway (and it differs a lot).
And I think most are certainly not useful, libdv actually will fall into the "will only cause you trouble" category for most.

>    Audio out: important: alsa
>               useful:    pulse nas esd arts oss v4l2 mpegpes(dvb)
>               minute:    sdl

If pulse is installed, it is probably pulse that is important, not alsa (since using pulse via alsa causes hangs). Trying to categorize these seems like rat's nest.

>    Video out: important: opengl xv
>               useful:    v4l2 matrixview pnm jpeg mpegpes(dvb) fbdev caca aa
>                          xvidix cvidix dga vdpau x11 xover directfb dfbmga
>                          yuv4mpeg md5sum tga
>               minute:    sdl

SDL is necessary for OpenGL in some cases... And anyway considering matrixview more useful than SDL is... interesting :-)

> Any suggestion on enhancing the layout or wording would be of course
> appreciated.

I would slightly prefer something that lists facts rather than opinions like "useful".
For example liba52 should be completely pointless since FFmpeg is supposed to be able to handle everything it can.
In contrast, FFmpeg can't handle speex, so you need to make sure it is enabled if you want support for it.