[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] configure: print "recommended codecs"

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Dec 2 10:56:56 CET 2012

On 2 Dec 2012, at 10:33, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:
> Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger <at> gmx.de> writes:
>
>> +  Recommended codecs: ffmpeg(internal) libopus speex OpenJPEG
>
> Given how difficult it is to compile without FFmpeg, I don't
> think it has to be mentioned, on slow computers, I think the
> FFmpeg J2k decoder is a magnitude faster, so I am not 100%
> convinced OpenJPEG has to be installed.

I missed/forgot that FFmpeg has a decoder.
If it works reasonably there is no need for it.

> (Also note that since OpenJPEG doesn't say where its headers
> should be installed, it may not be as simple to install it as
> it should be.)

I assume that most would just install the distribution package.

>> +  Recommended video output: opengl
>
> Given that on very old hardware, it doesn't work and you
> claimed repeatedly that it does not work correctly on AMD,
> this should probably read "vdpau if applicable OR opengl OR xv".

What kind of very old hardware are you thinking of?
I believe it even worked on a Riva TNT 2 back then.
Of course the software colourspace conversion in that to do there is a speed issue.
And while there was the one or other bug in the AMD drivers, I don't think there are any issues left (plus, XVideo has been broken on ATI occasionally as well).
For VDPAU I am actually having the issue that MPlayer defaults to that on one of my machines, because XV is not available. Problem is, it has an ATI card and the result is not great...
I might just drop that part, I was mostly curious about what people think.