[MPlayer-dev-eng] mplayer -pie and libbluray

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Wed Aug 15 19:14:44 CEST 2012

Hello,

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 11:51:29AM +0200, Alexander Roalter wrote:
> When I compile a recent mplayer (on x86_64) and start with br://1, I
> get a segfault in libbluray, because a strdup called there doesn't
> deliver a valid result.

I disabled it again by default, as Ivan reminded me there is another
issue open...
Can you in any way help debug this?
I am running Debian unstable x86_64 and it works just fine (I've used this
patch since about March without any issues...).

> - libbluray is compiled with PIC

I don't think it is possible to compile non-PIC shared libraries on
x86_64, it's not allowed by the ABI to my knowledge.

> - when running with valgrind, the strdup returns something correct,
> but mplayer bails out later with some undefined instruction
> exception. But it does this also with a working copy:
>

> vex amd64->IR: unhandled instruction bytes: 0xF 0xF 0x6 0xBF 0xF 0xF

That is because valgrind does not support 3DNow.
This issue can happen two ways:
1) you did not compile with runtime cpudetection enabled and run into
one of the very few unconditional 3DNow code pieces
2) you run an old buggy valgrind version that would claim to support
3DNow (thus making FFmpeg use it) but then actually crash when it
encounters such. I sent a patch for that about half a year ago and
it has been accepted.
I have not tested if a fixed version has appeared in any releases/distributions
by now...