[MPlayer-dev-eng] mplayer -pie and libbluray

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Wed Aug 15 19:45:59 CEST 2012

On 08/15/2012 07:14 PM, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 11:51:29AM +0200, Alexander Roalter wrote:
>> When I compile a recent mplayer (on x86_64) and start with br://1, I
>> get a segfault in libbluray, because a strdup called there doesn't
>> deliver a valid result.
>
> I disabled it again by default, as Ivan reminded me there is another
> issue open...
> Can you in any way help debug this?
> I am running Debian unstable x86_64 and it works just fine (I've used this
> patch since about March without any issues...).

I'm using a rather old-ish Opensuse 11.2.

If you point me in some direction (what to look for, e.g. loader,
libraries etc.) I can certainly help. Did you also run libbluray?
Perhaps it is something specific to that lib...

>> - when running with valgrind, the strdup returns something correct,
>> but mplayer bails out later with some undefined instruction
>> exception. But it does this also with a working copy:
>>

>> vex amd64->IR: unhandled instruction bytes: 0xF 0xF 0x6 0xBF 0xF 0xF
>
> That is because valgrind does not support 3DNow.
> This issue can happen two ways:
> 1) you did not compile with runtime cpudetection enabled and run into
> one of the very few unconditional 3DNow code pieces
> 2) you run an old buggy valgrind version that would claim to support
> 3DNow (thus making FFmpeg use it) but then actually crash when it
> encounters such. I sent a patch for that about half a year ago and
> it has been accepted.
> I have not tested if a fixed version has appeared in any releases/distributions
> by now...

I ran it with an old valgrind, and after updating to 3.8.0, the problem
disappeared. So this is a non-issue now (problem was my opensuse
installed version 3.6.1).

--
Cheers,
Alex