[MPlayer-dev-eng] mp_msg vs. mp_dbg

Ingo Brückl ib at wupperonline.de
Sat Sep 3 18:52:31 CEST 2011

While following the user list I increasingly got fond of the possibility to
use -v or  -v -v to track down problems.

When I started with the GUI I thought that using mp_dbg rather than mp_msg
for debug messages (level DBG2) is a good idea to save both unnecessary
execution and size of code. The disadvantage I'm aware of now is that in case
of real GUI problems (like: the GUI crashes, the main window doesn't show up
or looks weird) these debug messages could help, but only in the rare case
compilation has been carried out with --enable-debug; for MPlayer GUI
packages used for distributions very unlikely.

There seem to be more mp_dbg in the gui code than in all the other MPlayer
code. One reason might be, that you won't expect terminal output from a GUI,
so it does (almost) none. But MPlayer does, and I'm asking myself whether
mp_msg should be preferred over mp_dbg?

Is there a kind of policy?

Ingo