[MPlayer-dev-eng] threaded cache instead for forked?

Dan Oscarsson Dan.Oscarsson at tieto.com
Sun Nov 6 18:14:52 CET 2011

Currently the caching code forks on Linux, uses threads on ms windows,
from what I can see. I have looked at the code and enable threading on
Linux too, and what I can see if works fine. Is there some reason why we
still use fork instead of threads? Threads are used today in other parts
of mplayer or its libraries.

Using fork can result in the cache process left running when mplayer
crashes.

Looking at the code I see that I could add threaded sematics to enable
control operation to wake up caching thread immediately, and there is
one place where the code loops on the cpu waiting for cache
thread/process to complete a control operation.

   Dan