[MPlayer-dev-eng] Hardware acceleration with fbdev

David Kuehling dvdkhlng at gmx.de
Thu May 5 13:17:18 CEST 2011

>> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 09:12:49PM +0200, Roman Byshko wrote:
>>>
> And another general question. What is the state of vidix? I've browsed
>> the svn history and mailing list. There is no so much going on. Are
>> vidix API and drivers in legasy state?

> VIDIX is legacy code in a general state of disrepair.

Hopefully you're not going to remove it?  There a some embedded systems
around which are not capable to run X, or won't have an accelerated X
driver available.  VIDIX makes it easily possible to support these
devices, without having to code a full 'vo' driver.  MPlayer is probably
the most leightweight OSS video player around, making it a good match
for embedded systems.

(BTW I'm the developer of a VIDIX driver for the Ingenic jz47xx SOC for
use with the NanoNote -- http://sf.net/projects/mplayer-jz47xx/).

David