[MPlayer-dev-eng] Hardware acceleration with fbdev

Rowan James rowanj at phere.net
Thu May 5 11:18:11 CEST 2011

On 05/05/2011, at 7:03 PM, Nicolas George wrote:

> Le sextidi 16 floréal, an CCXIX, Roman B. a écrit :
>> I want to run mplayer without X and with acceleration.
>
> Why do you want to run mplayer _without X_? This is not a goal in itself.

I think it can be, for appliance-style installation.  X can be a big hassle, especially if you're basing your install on a distro with an installer that makes it difficult to not install a full desktop environment if you select any X package at all.

>> 							 Are you going
>> to expand this working set, or this is just some legacy code that
>> works for some graphic cards and that's all?
>
> Diego just said it was legacy, and I explained why there was few chances for
> it to evolve.

For what it's worth - I remember running mplayer from console w/ the nVidia binary driver and I believe '-vo cvidix' successfully a few years ago.  I abandoned it shortly thereafter, I think because it was fragile between driver updates and mplayer rebuilds - both of which I was doing quite frequently, and it was easier to just get X working with the new drivers and use one of the better maintained -vo options.

I think the device in question was a GeForce Ti 4200; the driver series was probably around version 50.x-70.x, on a RedHat distro of the day, installing the drivers from nVidia's RPMs.