[MPlayer-dev-eng] Transparency

Ingo Brückl ib at wupperonline.de
Wed Jun 15 16:53:47 CEST 2011

For quite a while I'm puzzling why there is a function called "Normalize"
that sets the alpha channel of all the skin item images to zero (and why the
resulting images aren't transparent but opaque).

The only reason I currently can detect is that the transparent color is
defined as 0x00FF00FF (i.e. alpha channel zero) while magenta normally would
be 0xFFFF00FF (i.e. alpha channel 255). A normal window manager like mine
doesn't seem to pay attention to the alpha channel, so neither value does
matter.

But what if I were using a window manager supporting alpha transparency?
(Does anyone here use one?) Is the *full* transparency of the skin item
images a must then or would it be better to leave the transparency of the
images as it is (i.e. removing "Normalize" completely)?

Ingo