[MPlayer-dev-eng] bd:/ and dvd:/ inconsistency when using ISO files - Proposal to fix and unify

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 21:53:11 CEST 2011

On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 9:43 PM, Reimar Döffinger
<Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de>wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 09:36:06PM +0200, Mark wrote:
> > Also the name "-dvd-device" or "-bluray-device" doesn't really sound like
> > name that allows ISO files.. so perhaps it's wise to make a generic iso
> > argument for both dvd and blu-ray for example this:
> >
> > mplayer br:// -iso-file /path/to/filename.iso
> > mplayer dvd://1 -iso-file /path/to/filename.iso
> >
> > That is making more sense then "-dvd-device". The -dvd-device would then
> > only be used for paths to devices or paths to "extracted iso files".
> >
> > Just my opinion.
> > What do you guys think of it?
>
> Since br:// and bd:// to my knownledge never have and never will
> support iso images, device names or anything the like I don't see
> the point.
> To name it -bluray-device probably was a bad idea but I'm not
> convinced there's much of a point renaming it.
>
> I didn't mention renaming.. i said adding.
An example where -bluray-device would be used:
-bluray-device /dev/bdrom
-bluray-device /path/to/extracted/iso

And where "-iso-file" would be used:
-iso-file path/to/my/file.iso

So not renaming -bluray-device to -iso-file but adding -iso-file for..
iso's.

Regards,
Mark