[MPlayer-dev-eng] bd:/ and dvd:/ inconsistency when using ISO files - Proposal to fix and unify

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sat Apr 23 22:14:21 CEST 2011

On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 09:53:11PM +0200, Mark wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 9:43 PM, Reimar Döffinger
> <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de>wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 09:36:06PM +0200, Mark wrote:
> > > Also the name "-dvd-device" or "-bluray-device" doesn't really sound like
> > > name that allows ISO files.. so perhaps it's wise to make a generic iso
> > > argument for both dvd and blu-ray for example this:
> > >
> > > mplayer br:// -iso-file /path/to/filename.iso
> > > mplayer dvd://1 -iso-file /path/to/filename.iso
> > >
> > > That is making more sense then "-dvd-device". The -dvd-device would then
> > > only be used for paths to devices or paths to "extracted iso files".
> > >
> > > Just my opinion.
> > > What do you guys think of it?
> >
> > Since br:// and bd:// to my knownledge never have and never will
> > support iso images, device names or anything the like I don't see
> > the point.
> > To name it -bluray-device probably was a bad idea but I'm not
> > convinced there's much of a point renaming it.
> >
> > I didn't mention renaming.. i said adding.
> An example where -bluray-device would be used:
> -bluray-device /dev/bdrom
> -bluray-device /path/to/extracted/iso
>
> And where "-iso-file" would be used:
> -iso-file path/to/my/file.iso
>
> So not renaming -bluray-device to -iso-file but adding -iso-file for..
> iso's.

I'd like to direct your attention to the "never will support
iso images", unless you have a sane solution to support ISO
images with Blu-ray I don't see what there is to discuss
(not to mention that saying that you want br:// to support
ISOs would be a simpler description, and in addition it
is directed at the wrong people, libbluray developers are
responsible for what it supports).