[MPlayer-dev-eng] Leaving the project

Alex Beregszaszi alex at rtfs.hu
Mon Apr 11 23:30:53 CEST 2011

Hi Attila,

On 08/04/2011 14:00, Attila Kinali wrote:
> Grüezi,
>
> I got a mail from a certain project leader, claiming to be backed
> up by MPlayer developers, containing legal threats that border on duress.
>
> Although I got used to get such threats from companies who thought
> they could stop the development of a codec by intimidation, I am
> definitely not used to getting such mails from project members,
> much less from people I once considered to be friends.
>
> In order to protect myself from getting drawn into a pointless
> legal battle between grown up men who behave like children
> in a sandbox fight, I decided to leave the MPlayer project.
>
> Thus I will stop providing any service to MPlayer from
> Monday 18.4.2011 12:00 CEST on. This means, that I will disable
> all services running on my private machines by then and will
> shut down natsuki, the main server of MPlayer. The machine is
> running under my name, with rackspace and bandwidth donated as
> a personal favor to me. Please migrate all services you still
> need to somewhere else by then.
>
> My offer to ship natsuki to anyone who has a claim on it still
> holds, given that packaging and shipping (including service time)
> is being paid upfront. In case nobody claims natsuki in three
> months time, I will take this as that nobody has a interest in this
> old machine and will donate it to the local linux user group.
>
> If you have any questions or requests for data, please direct
> them to root at mplayerhq.hu. They will be handled as time permits.
>

> 			Attila Kinali

Its sad to see what happened to this project.

As you know the domain mplayerhq.hu is managed by me and til now the
nameservers for it were ns*.mplayerhq.eu, where ns1.mplayerhq.eu is natsuki.

 From your email its not clear whether NS services will be kept alive or
not? If not, can you hand over the zone details please, so I can keep it
live? As you know the Hungarian registry is more than slow so I need to
take steps ASAP.

Hope what's in the email won't happen so no changes are needed on this
side...

Alex