[MPlayer-dev-eng] [FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] roots duties and rights

Luca Barbato lu_zero at gentoo.org
Fri Oct 15 22:58:14 CEST 2010

On 10/11/2010 03:32 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> its a request for comments, where people can suggest changes. And its primarely
> intended for the roots managing svn/git/MLs alot of that doesnt make sense to
> roundup.
> Besides attila who is root personally asked me to write this list.

roundup eats time alone as probably ml + git... (not to mention it does
use a ml itself)

I'm afraid there is a perception problem regarding what is involved
being root...

>> maintaining our roundup. The Leader shouldn't order around people nor
>> have demigod powers (see why I had been really offended by the
>> boss/employees analogy on -cvs).
>
> and iam offended by you and others vaguly pointing toward me abusing power
> but every time i ask about details people running away and not awnsering.
> So what did i do wrong?

You order around people, you do not trust people, I'm afraid and hope
it's because of a language barrier and other kind of misperception.

I'm quite sure most times you weren't even considering it as an abuse.

Given that the role of leader isn't defined is hard to point when your
behaviour is abusive or proper.

> Or what in that RFC list is inappropriate, you know this is a RFC that can be
> changed.

Others did reply again.

>> My list is quite simple and had been around since the first outbreak of
>> insanity had me consider the topic. It is largely a summary of the
>> Gentoo policy w/out the code of conduct and other frills.

> its also largely what we did since years in the projects. So where is the
> problem this suggestion would correct?
> (i see some quite severe ambiguities in that suggestion)

Basically pin the roles so that when somebody asks what he did wrong or
there are doubts, the issue could be cleared easily and quickly.

lu

--

Luca Barbato
Gentoo/linux