[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] all of FFmpeg as svn:external

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Oct 3 20:20:56 CEST 2010

On Sun, Oct 03, 2010 at 04:55:51PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 11:39:36AM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > [...]
>
> Here is the rest of the patch in its current form.  The diffstat is
> as sexy as ever:
>
>  Makefile  |   30 -
>  configure | 1071 ++------------------------------------------------------------
>
> One issue we have right now is that the libmp3lame check can work for
> MPlayer, but fail for FFmpeg because the latter requires LAME 3.98.
> Is it reasonable to require 3.98 for MPlayer as well?

Yes.

> Comments welcome, note that I would like to proceed soon.

I am not ok with removing most of the codec checks.
Unless there's no reason nobody should want it, MPlayer should
detect those libraries and enable FFmpeg support for them.
Of course changing FFmpeg configure to allow for "greedy" library
detection is a fine solution as well.
In general for (almost) all removed options we should document
what to use instead.
E.g. I would have no idea what someone who was using --enable-neon
before would have to use now...