[MPlayer-dev-eng] Subtitles modules

Clément Bœsch ubitux at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 22:41:32 CET 2010

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 10:17:51PM +0100, Nicolas George wrote:
> Le decadi 10 frimaire, an CCXIX, Clément Bœsch a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > subreader.c is huge file with lots of various, and I was planning to
> > extract specific subtitles format functions into sub modules, just like
> > libmpdemux, libmpcodecs, etc.
> >
> > So first step, I'd like to just put specific format functions into
> > specific files:
> <...>
> > If I'm not wrong the second step would be to define some instance and info
> > struct just like with at least init, read, postproc, dump and close
> > function.
> >
> > The automatic type detection could be ported in the init function of each
> > type.
> >
> > Does anyone has a grudge against this, or see a big obstacle?
>
> I am all for it in principle, but there may be even better: libavformat has
> recently gained the capacity to decode some text subtitles format (at least
> ASS and SRT): rather than working on mplayer, you may want to try to port
> the subtitles decoders that mplayer has and lavf does not have to lavf, and
> then entirely rely on lavf in mplayer. On of the pros of this solution is
> that lavf already has all the probe/init/read infrastructure designed.

Indeed I saw the integration of ASS and SubRip in FFmpeg, but I only saw
ASS and SubRip as muxed subtitles, so are you sure FFmpeg developers would
accept support for external subtitles format such as JacoSub or SAMI?

What if one or more format never reach to FFmpeg repository? Do you think
dropping some formats in MPlayer would be acceptable?

Btw, I really like the idea, but I wonder if it's a real solution.

--
Clément B.
Not sent from a jesusPhone.