[MPlayer-dev-eng] DxVA in MPlayer

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Nov 23 22:17:36 CET 2010

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 03:17:48PM -0500, Laurent wrote:
> I used the GMA500/atom h/w.
> IIRC, 1080p trailers (transformers, for instance) were playing
> smoothly on XP/DxVA1/MPC-HT and Linux/VAAPI/MPlayer.
> Regarding Win7 and DxVA2, I performed new tests (using native resolution):
> * Desktop compositing makes DxVA decoding (or rather rendering) deadly
> slow, so has been disabled for tests.

Uh, from my opinion that makes that "DXVA does not work. Let's forget
about it". But I guess I am just a bit allergic against crappy products
lately.

> * MPC-HT does not play smoothly, but decodes all frames with ~10% CPU.
> * VLC performed better than in my previous tests, thanks to
> compositing being disabled.
>   Note that VLC has a decoding bug with Intel decoders, but that is
> not really relevant ATM.
>   Playback is not smooth, but not worse that MPC.
>   It decodes all frames, with ~30-40% CPU.

Could you describe "not smooth" more precisely? Does the file possibly
have extreme bitrate spikes (which would mean it's also not-smooth
always at the same places)? Or does it look like some issue with
the video output method, or memory bandwidth, any hints?

> * VLC without DxVA does not play smooth (worse than with DxVA) and
> uses 60% of the CPU.

How many cores is that (real and virtual (HT))? Otherwise those
values don't say anything really...
And I assume that is not using ffmpeg-mt?
I'm not going to ask you to try MPlayer ;-), even though I'd be curious,
also using a ffmpeg-mt build since that can even out decode times
between frames of hugely different complexity.