[MPlayer-dev-eng] DxVA in MPlayer

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Fri Nov 19 18:11:37 CET 2010

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 12:55:50PM +0200, Georgi Petrov wrote:
> 1. Since DxVA 2 requires EVR renderer (the current Direct 3D one won't
> work), I suppose that the best way to start is implementing a working
> EVR renderer first. If so, are there anybody who is familiar at least
> a little with it? The only thing that bothers me is that EVR is
> supposed to be used in a DirectShow chain and MPlayer has nothing to
> do with DirectShow... In short - does anybody know is it feasible to
> develop the EVR renderer first and test it with the current
> (non-accelerated) internal MPlayer codecs?

Personally I'd be in favour if you did it the way that (to my knowledge)
VLC does it: support only DXVA2 and do not render directly but instead
use the readback method.
To my knowledge that should mean you don't have to deal with EVR and other
DirectShow stuff.
It does give less performance though, but allows filters etc. to work as
normal.
However if I am right that VLC already uses that, you should probably
coordinate with them and ideally the end result would be that you need
to just flip a bit in FFmpeg and it will decode via DXVA2 in a way that
is completely transparent to the user of libavc* and everyone can use easily.
This might easily be more work, particularly due to the need to design
how to implement it in FFmpeg and high bikeshed-discussion potential,
but it is a useful feature and would improve many applications by
just porting existing code to FFmpeg...