[MPlayer-dev-eng] DxVA in MPlayer

compn tempn at twmi.rr.com
Fri Nov 19 14:17:47 CET 2010

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 12:55:50 +0200, Georgi Petrov wrote:
>1. Since DxVA 2 requires EVR renderer (the current Direct 3D one won't
>work), I suppose that the best way to start is implementing a working
>EVR renderer first. If so, are there anybody who is familiar at least
>a little with it? The only thing that bothers me is that EVR is
>supposed to be used in a DirectShow chain and MPlayer has nothing to
>do with DirectShow... In short - does anybody know is it feasible to
>develop the EVR renderer first and test it with the current
>(non-accelerated) internal MPlayer codecs?

you might also want to look at MPC-HC's dxva code.
i'm not sure if this page is up to date:
http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/DXVASupport.html

also there is talk of using ffdshow to pipe video from mplayer to dxva.
but its untested so maybe it doesnt work:
http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php

ffdshow is based on ffmpeg/mplayer and now has dxva support:
http://ffdshow-tryout.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ffdshow-tryout/trunk/src/
DXVA post-processing - decoded surface overlay (writing to USWC)
you can now display subtitles / OSD simultaneously with DXVA 1.0 / 2.0
decoding! (joint effort with Albain)

in mpc-hc (and possibly vlc) i'm sure you can select the evr renderer
for plain video codecs.

>3. As far as I understand this approach is used by VA API and VDPAU.
>Can I reuse their infrastructure as well? On this page I see a VA API
>patches: http://www.splitted-desktop.com/~gbeauchesne/mplayer-vaapi/
>
>Are they part of MPlayer already or not?

unfortunately, the api of the windows and linux gpu accel support are
different. so its not possible to reuse the libs (libva etc). it may
give you some overall idea of how it works tho.

vaapi is not part of mplayer yet, i think it first has to be accepted
by ffmpeg.

>5. I am trying to figure out a realistic estimate about how much time
>and hard work this is about, so any help in this direction is welcome.

good question. the vlc dxva author would be the best person to
ask. you might also want to ask stephen warren from nvidia. or gb at the
vaapi url. i'm sure vdpau/vaapi took longer than dxva would take since
a) they had to come up with all the underlying api first and b) dxva is
already in ffmpeg so that saves you some time.

>Greeting,
>Georgi

welcome back!

-compn