[MPlayer-dev-eng] branching off rc4

Vlad Seryakov vseryakov at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 00:48:36 CEST 2010

On Jun 29, 2010, at 6:40 PM, Thomas Orgis wrote:

> Am Mon, 28 Jun 2010 19:31:54 +0200
> schrieb Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at>:
>
>>> Apart from speed considerations, the mpg123 decoder can also be an
>>> improvement for users, for example via less annoying arifacts during
>>> decoding of broken streams (like you get from DVB-T with bad reception).
>>
>> Do you have some sample that demonstrates this?
>> iam interrested to improve lavc-mp3 in terms of error resilience if theres
>> a problem
>
> Hah, you got me there... of course I don't have a good sample handy. I just
> watched some DVB-T with inevitably bad signal strength and mplayer
> struggling to keep decoding, hearing the characteristic hissing/squeaking
> noises of MPEG audio streams in distress, at least how I remembered them
> from earlier times where we battled broken files with mpg123, or just
> seeking.
>
> I cannot quickly reproduce a good source for this (don't even have the DVB-T
> receiver with me now for getting the real thing) ... so, better ignore that
> statement until I come up with some data. I'll try to hook up the dvb-t dongle
> and use mplayer with mpg123 decoding next time... and play with the antenna
> to see how bad the breakdown of the decoding sounds there, if there is
> actually a difference to mp3lib (or the ffmpeg codec).

I currently working on a project that involves mplayer and DVB(ATSC). While playing different HD channels i noticed that sometimes the picture starts stuttering, seems like A/V out of sync or else and mplayer starts skipping video frames. Quick pause/pause fixes playback but over time it starts stutter again. With cache 8192 it is significantly better,  stuttering happens rare now.

I can help, record perfect ATSC stream if needed.