[MPlayer-dev-eng] branching off rc4

Thomas Orgis thomas-forum at orgis.org
Wed Jun 30 00:40:07 CEST 2010

Am Mon, 28 Jun 2010 19:31:54 +0200
schrieb Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at>:

> > Apart from speed considerations, the mpg123 decoder can also be an
> > improvement for users, for example via less annoying arifacts during
> > decoding of broken streams (like you get from DVB-T with bad reception).
>
> Do you have some sample that demonstrates this?
> iam interrested to improve lavc-mp3 in terms of error resilience if theres
> a problem

Hah, you got me there... of course I don't have a good sample handy. I just
watched some DVB-T with inevitably bad signal strength and mplayer
struggling to keep decoding, hearing the characteristic hissing/squeaking
noises of MPEG audio streams in distress, at least how I remembered them
from earlier times where we battled broken files with mpg123, or just
seeking.

I cannot quickly reproduce a good source for this (don't even have the DVB-T
receiver with me now for getting the real thing) ... so, better ignore that
statement until I come up with some data. I'll try to hook up the dvb-t dongle
and use mplayer with mpg123 decoding next time... and play with the antenna
to see how bad the breakdown of the decoding sounds there, if there is
actually a difference to mp3lib (or the ffmpeg codec).

Alrighty then,

Thomas.