[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] HRTF filter revision

Yue Shi Lai ylai at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jul 14 00:40:06 CEST 2010

Hi,

Attached is a snapshot of what I would like to propose as a revised HRTF
filter. I would appreciate any comment or criticism.

I believe that the current version already surpasses the previous
implementation in that:

- The room acoustics up to ~ 50 ms can be modeled, this allows the
channels to be further moved "out of the head".

- The equalization can be performed at run time, and is therefore more
rigorous.

There are a few things that still needs to be done:

- Reimplement support for 2 channel matrix coded signal

- Implement larger rooms with speakers attached to the wall.

- Take reverberation into account when equalize (for a correct overall
gain).

- Use FFT as alternative (unknown if potentially faster).

I saw that foobar2000 has a filter (no source code) that links to
DolbyHph.dll (Dolby Headphone filter bundled with some Windows DVD
players). I managed so far to write a Wine code that does the same. This
may allow a direct comparison of the acoustics soon.

A question: What is the state of libavcodec/avfft.c? The last time I
checked, it segfaults (on x86_64) whenever I try to av_fft_permute().

Best,

Yue Shi Lai