[MPlayer-dev-eng] playing an AVI with two video streams as stereo movie?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Jul 4 13:43:35 CEST 2010

On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 11:06:16AM +0000, Stefan Gehrer wrote:
> Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger <at> gmx.de> writes:
>

> > On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 08:16:18AM +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> > > Unfortunately, you don't just need any Quadro card, but an expensive one:
> > > http://www.nvidia.de/object/quadro-pro-graphics-boards-linux-de.html
> >
> > Either way, here is a version that anyone with red/green glasses can test
> > (not that I have such either, nor do I have any 3D content).
> > Note that a lot of stereo content probably has broken aspect settings,
> > so you'll probably want to fix that manually with -aspect.
> >
> > Attachment (glstereo.diff): text/x-diff, 3885 bytes
>
> Your patch works fine for me, I just had to change calls to mpglColorMask()
> as I have green-magenta glasses and not the more common red-cyan.

Well, you can try this more complete solution.
mode 3 is unlikely to work, since MPlayer never requests a stereo-capable
OpenGL context (even if the card could support it).

> I then tried with http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/3D/ANIXE3D.ts and I get a
> fairly good 3D effect (as far as anaglyph goes) with a small amount of ghosting.
> I think the color retainment is better though when using a more complex color
> matrix, for example "optimized anaglyph" described here:
> http://www.3dtv.at/Knowhow/AnaglyphComparison_en.aspx

That's just different compromises, none is really "better" than the other.
Though I'm not really qualified to comment, anaglyph 3D has never worked
with my eyes (as in no 3D effect and no right colors at all ever).
Of course a lot more complex stuff is possible by modifying the fragment
programs, but
1) this probably needs some architectural changes
2) it would only work for yuv and suddenly break for RGB.
3) this whole stuff would be much better handled by the 3D driver anyway,
   having it support quad-buffered stereo and then combine it in whichever
   way necessary.