[MPlayer-dev-eng] [TEST-REQUEST] let window manager do placing by default

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Wed Feb 3 21:33:44 CET 2010

On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 08:16:42PM +0100, Sebastian Krämer wrote:
> From a quick test my impression was that the unpatched mplayer always
> opened the video window centered, while the patched version placed the
> window randomly, sometimes parts of the window were off screen.

That's exactly what happens when you allow the window manager to place
the window - and the reason why I refused to make MPlayer respect
window manager placement before.

> The -geometry option "fixed" that in that the window was centered in
> both patched and unpatched mplayer.

However as long as that workaround work it seems like a reasonable way
to make everyone happy.
However if the proposed new default behaviour is very much disliked
it shouldn't be too hard to keep the current behaviour as default and add
a -geometry=auto or so.