[MPlayer-dev-eng] DxVA in MPlayer

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Fri Dec 3 17:59:03 CET 2010

On Fri, 2010-12-03 at 17:30 +0200, Georgi Petrov wrote:
> After analyzing some code today, I'm willing to listen to Reimar and
> start from DxVA 1.

Hmm didn't Reimar primarily argue for a readback implementation, which
is _incompatible_ with DxVA 1? So if you're starting from DxVA 1 then
referring to it as Reimar's preferred approach sounds misleading. Do you
mean you're starting by adding DxVA 1 acceleration support to vo_directx
or vo_direct3d?

>  It will be comparatively easier to implement and
> have it working in much less time compared to starting with a Custom
> EVR first. Moreover, much less code will have to be written until we
> have a working implementation, so any issues will be worked out easier
> in the beginning. Once it works mostly okay, I will continue with
> EVR/DxVA 2.

If your only "target" is the acceleration then yes you may get an
initial version of that done faster; OTOH you could get demonstrably
working code for the renderer part too. If nobody has tried to use DxVA
1 with FFmpeg yet then I think there's a higher risk of hitting
non-obvious problems with that.