[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] libavutil/x86_cpu.h

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Tue Aug 10 13:29:44 CEST 2010

On Sun, Aug 08, 2010 at 12:24:19PM +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 07, 2010 at 12:10:14AM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > > That is only true as long as the names of the defines do not
> > > change.
> >
> > Umm, what?  The names of the defines only change when you change them.
> > In FFmpeg they can change all they want, we will be unaffected.  If you
> > change them in MPlayer, of course you will have to adapt MPlayer to it.
>
> Looking in to the future, only if we intend to forever duplicate those
> checks in FFmpeg configure.

The days or reinventing the FFmpeg build system (badly) will draw to a
close soon enough.

> And right now, only if we change configure to generate two defines for the
> same thing if FFmpeg renames then
> And even that only works if FFmpeg does not use those old names for something
> else.

The ARCH_ #defines are also used in MPlayer in various places, they will
not go away.

We seem to be misunderstanding each other.  Could you please give an
example where anything can go wrong?  I cannot see how copying that
header can introduce problems, ever.

> > > Also it is only an argument that it's not much worse, I
> > > still fail to see any advantage.
> >
> > No more dependency on libavutil in the source tree.
>
> What is the point?
> If someone removes libavutil they'll hardly break their fingers
> by in addition copying that x86_cpu.h file, why do we have
> to do that for them?

svn checkout --ignore-externals

is a configuration that we should make an effort to support.  It is a
useful and sensible thing to do, Nico works that way and I would like
to do it as well.  It really does marvels to compilation speed.

Nico kept complaining to me that you undermined all his efforts to
have MPlayer work without embedded FFmpeg and I promised to help
improve the situation :)

Diego