[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] libavutil/x86_cpu.h

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Aug 8 12:24:19 CEST 2010

On Sat, Aug 07, 2010 at 12:10:14AM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > That is only true as long as the names of the defines do not
> > change.
>
> Umm, what?  The names of the defines only change when you change them.
> In FFmpeg they can change all they want, we will be unaffected.  If you
> change them in MPlayer, of course you will have to adapt MPlayer to it.

Looking in to the future, only if we intend to forever duplicate those
checks in FFmpeg configure.
And right now, only if we change configure to generate two defines for the
same thing if FFmpeg renames then
And even that only works if FFmpeg does not use those old names for something
else.

> > Also it is only an argument that it's not much worse, I
> > still fail to see any advantage.
>
> No more dependency on libavutil in the source tree.

What is the point?
If someone removes libavutil they'll hardly break their fingers
by in addition copying that x86_cpu.h file, why do we have
to do that for them?