[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] EOSD improvements

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Mon Aug 2 13:35:09 CEST 2010

Le quintidi 15 thermidor, an CCXVIII, Reimar Döffinger a écrit :
> But we do not have any RGBA images in MPlayer anywhere currently!
> We do have paletted images and we do have luminance+alpha.

Ok, RGBA was not a smart choice to express thing. Let me rephrase:

Any bitmap format plus alpha channel.

The actual format should probably be the same as the format of the video
where it will be overlaid, but there is libswscale to do the conversion.

> I am suggesting to build the foundation (passing the image data through
> the filter chain via EOSD etc.) and then build the extensions to it
> (RGBA support) instead of first building the extensions and then see
> if we can shove the foundations below it.
> My reason for considering it this way is that there's not really that
> much you can do wrong when adding the support for an additional format,
> it just bloats the code a bit.
> And I am trying to suggest to first get the thing working in principle
> and then add the bloat.

I think all of us were very unclear. Until now, I thought the question was
about:

(1) Add a new useful feature that relies on EOSD.

(2) Change EOSD to make (1) easier.

And I thought your exigence was (1) before (2).

Now I think the question is about:

(1) Add a new useful feature that relies on EOSD.

(2) Change the entry point of EOSD (currently entangled with libass) to make
    (1) easier.

(3) Extend the features offered by EOSD to make (1) easier / look nicer.

And, as far as I understand you, you insist that (2) -> (1) -> (3) is better
than (2+3) -> (1).

Is that right?

If so, I think your point is perfectly valid.

> Well, maybe, but I think neither of them will answer whether the code
> will work with the current DVD, DVB, PGS subtitle support without
> _completely_ rewriting it.

I had, eighteen months, DVB subtitles working by plugging directly in the
libass structures. The patch went dead because of unresolved issues related
to the lack of clean entry point for EOSD and I had no time to work on it.

Therefore, at the very least, a clean entry point for EOSD would allow DVB
subtitles.

I cut a lot of text from your mail, since I think most of your point would
become obvious once the confusion between the "clean entry point" and
"support for bitmap formats" questions is eliminated.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George