[MPlayer-dev-eng] vdpau codec priority?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Wed Sep 2 15:46:38 CEST 2009

On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 01:32:36PM +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger <at> gmx.de> writes:
>
> > The decoder (with a dummy value for max_refs) can be created during
> > query_format
>
> That would need width and height to be passed to query_format.

I missed that, though dummy values may still be better than nothing.

> Especially since the realistic use-case is not only trying to decode two videos,
> but to decode a video which has an unsupported width (or, less likely, height).

How likely is that case?

> Is that possible?

Not really, that information is not necessarily available.
Still, I guess it could be done if really wanted, but again I don't
think a _proper_ solution is possible (or at least more messy than
necessary) without FFmpeg changes and I'm not very sympathetic towards
adding hacks to detect if we can't play it while there is still nothing
appropriate we could do about it.
Either way, everything's possible, the only question is if in the end
there's still someone left capable of understanding the resulting code.