[MPlayer-dev-eng] vdpau codec priority?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Wed Sep 2 15:39:52 CEST 2009

On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 04:26:25PM +0300, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-09-02 at 13:27 +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> > The decoder (with a dummy value for max_refs) can be created during query_format
> > AFAICT, it still doesn't help a bit without the changes in FFmpeg.
> > Also the first complaint was needing so many options (particularly that
> > you need to know which codec the file uses), which definitely
> > would be fixed with the FFmpeg changes.
>
> You can use configuration like '-vc ffh264vdpau,ffvc1vdpau,' to try
> those decoders first and then fall back to standard ones if they fail.
> That works without needing to know in advance what codec the particular
> file uses.

Well, that's still quite a long commandline (yes, you can put it in the
config), and not quite "working out of the box".

> And with that configuration reserving the VDPAU resources
> during query_format _would_ help in the case where opening the decoder
> apparently succeeds but then creating the VDPAU-level decoder fails
> later when another decoder can't be tried any more (though I'm not sure
> whether this makes it a good idea).

I would make mplayer quit "properly" (though on the other hand with the
current approach I _think_ that the second MPlayer will start playing as
soon as the first is closed), but it still wouldn't make it work.
Anyway I'm not interested in endless discussions, I only wanted to say
that from my point of view the FFmpeg end must be fixed first,
everything else is just hacking around with probably little effect and
more effort.