[MPlayer-dev-eng] removing rc2 from mplayerhq.hu

Reinhard Tartler siretart at tauware.de
Sat Nov 14 18:43:47 CET 2009

Attila Kinali <attila at kinali.ch> writes:

> Hoi Reinhard,
>
> On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 20:25:31 +0100
> Reinhard Tartler <siretart at tauware.de> wrote:
>
>> What annoys me most: While the API is in my eyes indeed a technical
>> improvement, it leaves all non-gnome applications in the code.
>> Seriously, I do not expect KDE or XFCE applications to send a dbus
>> message on the session bus to the adress "org.gnome.session.Inhibit".
>> This just feels more than odd.
>>
>> While there is the MIT-SCREEN-SAVER extension, it is not implemented in
>> gnome for a couple of reasons that I can understand to some extend.
>
> What would that reason be? I've fought enough with screensavers myself
> to know that the mess we have is to a big part because people are
> unable to read the X standards. Especially the gnome guys have quite
> a history of that.

g-s-s features 'fading' to black, so that you can abort the activation
by moving the mouse.

I'm not convinced that it is not possible to integrate this with
MIT-SCREEN-SAVER, but that extension alone is certainly not enough to
implement that.

> IMHO, patch the gnome-screensaver directly, not all the other apps
> to _follow_the_standard_that_everyone_else_agreed_to_.

I obviously haven't followed as many multimedia applications as you
have, but alone the fact that xscreensaver has made the MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
integration optionally makes me wonder how relevant this "standard"
actually is.

Anyway, the argument to stick to a given standard is as limited as the
technical merits of it. E.g. MIT-SCREEN-SAVER doesn't offer inhibiting
power policy managers, at least not gracefully. But don't worry. I feel
that this is not even properly implemented or thought of about enough in
gnome itself. So no need to hurry right now, IMO.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4