[MPlayer-dev-eng] removing rc2 from mplayerhq.hu

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Mon Nov 9 10:07:59 CET 2009

Hoi Reinhard,

On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 20:25:31 +0100
Reinhard Tartler <siretart at tauware.de> wrote:

> What annoys me most: While the API is in my eyes indeed a technical
> improvement, it leaves all non-gnome applications in the code.
> Seriously, I do not expect KDE or XFCE applications to send a dbus
> message on the session bus to the adress "org.gnome.session.Inhibit".
> This just feels more than odd.
>
> While there is the MIT-SCREEN-SAVER extension, it is not implemented in
> gnome for a couple of reasons that I can understand to some extend.

What would that reason be? I've fought enough with screensavers myself
to know that the mess we have is to a big part because people are
unable to read the X standards. Especially the gnome guys have quite
a history of that.

> > I'm tempted to suggest that you just patch gnome-screensaver to not run
> > when there's a program named "MPlayer" or "VLC" running, that puts the
> > hack at least where the stupid code is (and if this list was
> > configurable, that would actually make it a useful feature - it could
> > even be done in gnome-session if the gnome people think that's where the
> > screensaver handling belongs - though I heartily suggest that just for
> > once the _first_ design the API and the implement it instead of
> > implement something an notice the need a new one a few months later with
> > nobody bothering to keep the old one working).
>
> Your idea is actually pretty similar to something I'm considering:
> Writing an inhibiting wrapper. That wrapper would be started instead of
> the real mplayer binary, inhibit the screensaver and call mplayer with
> all arguments. I'm still pondering if this idea is just a brainfart or
> actually a real option.

IMHO, patch the gnome-screensaver directly, not all the other apps
to _follow_the_standard_that_everyone_else_agreed_to_.

				Attila Kinali
		-- Tirin, The Dispossessed, U. Le Guin