[MPlayer-dev-eng] removing rc2 from mplayerhq.hu

Reinhard Tartler siretart at tauware.de
Sun Nov 8 15:48:27 CET 2009

Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> writes:

> On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 12:49:11PM +0100, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
>> compn <tempn at twmi.rr.com> writes:
>> > i was waiting for diego to do something with rc3.
>> >
>> > i really dont care about releases. if i do one it will just be an
>> > svn tarball, with minimal testing. i wont name it rc4, i will go with
>> > mplayer-(svnrev). there will be no backports of features/fixes/security.
>>
>> I'm currently maintaining a patchset against the rc3 for the debian and
>> ubuntu packages. Effectively, I'm doing these backports of
>> features/fixes/security.
>>
>> Is anyone interested in joining this effort for other distros? Perhaps
>> we can arrange something.
>
> IMO please just make branches in MPlayer SVN and apply the patches to
> those.
> There should be no real issues with giving packagers from a well-know
> distro commit access with little hassle.
>
>> Diego, what is the status on the rc3 branch? Perhaps some of these
>> patches can be integrated there?
>
> IMO go for it. I sometimes tried to apply stuff to the rc2 branch but
> I tend to forget it, particularly since I always manage to run out of
> disk space to do an extra checkout +  test build for that branch.

I'll give Diego a few days time to give him a chance to veto that.

>> http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-multimedia/mplayer.git;a=tree;f=debian/patches
>
> Your mktemp patch at least seems to miss deleting the created directory
> again.

Which is not a problem introduced by the patch. So the patch clearly
doesn't make the situation worse.

Anyway, I see if I can improve it.

> The problem with the gmplayer man page is that the command-line for
> gmplayer does not work reliably - it works for some options, won't work
> for others and for yet others it will overwrite the settings set in the
> Gui, permanently.

Again, not a problem by the patch. It has been proposed to remove
mplayer-gui in the past, but since it seems to work for some people,
removing it is, or at least was, considered to do more harm than just
leaving it as it is.

> Maybe it's still the most user-friendly option, but I wouldn't call
> using gmplayer with command-line arguments really supported (well,
> it's not maintained either way actually).

So we have something that has users but nobody wants to look at or care
after. Not a very convinent situation.

> Well, and I hope my opinion about the screensaver mess has been said
> often enough. My solution to the problem on my PCs is to make sure I
> don't have any installed, it's the only one actually working properly
> currently.

I have made some research on this topic, but I'm still investigating.
You're right and the current situation is indeed a big mess. I don't
agree with your conclusion to just ignore gnome-screensaver but am
interested in a proper integration. The current patch in the package
clearly isn't, and of course needs improvment.

However, I still believe that the current patch is still better than not
having it at all, which is the reason why it is included in both the
debian and ubuntu distribution.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4