[MPlayer-dev-eng] removing rc2 from mplayerhq.hu

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Fri Nov 6 18:27:57 CET 2009

On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 12:49:11PM +0100, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> compn <tempn at twmi.rr.com> writes:
> > i was waiting for diego to do something with rc3.
> >
> > i really dont care about releases. if i do one it will just be an
> > svn tarball, with minimal testing. i wont name it rc4, i will go with
> > mplayer-(svnrev). there will be no backports of features/fixes/security.
>
> I'm currently maintaining a patchset against the rc3 for the debian and
> ubuntu packages. Effectively, I'm doing these backports of
> features/fixes/security.
>
> Is anyone interested in joining this effort for other distros? Perhaps
> we can arrange something.

IMO please just make branches in MPlayer SVN and apply the patches to
those.
There should be no real issues with giving packagers from a well-know
distro commit access with little hassle.

> Diego, what is the status on the rc3 branch? Perhaps some of these
> patches can be integrated there?

IMO go for it. I sometimes tried to apply stuff to the rc2 branch but
I tend to forget it, particularly since I always manage to run out of
disk space to do an extra checkout +  test build for that branch.

> http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-multimedia/mplayer.git;a=tree;f=debian/patches

Your mktemp patch at least seems to miss deleting the created directory
again.
The problem with the gmplayer man page is that the command-line for
gmplayer does not work reliably - it works for some options, won't work
for others and for yet others it will overwrite the settings set in the
Gui, permanently.
Maybe it's still the most user-friendly option, but I wouldn't call
using gmplayer with command-line arguments really supported (well,
it's not maintained either way actually).
Well, and I hope my opinion about the screensaver mess has been said
often enough. My solution to the problem on my PCs is to make sure I
don't have any installed, it's the only one actually working properly
currently.