[MPlayer-dev-eng] removing rc2 from mplayerhq.hu

compn tempn at twmi.rr.com
Fri Nov 6 04:02:27 CET 2009

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 20:28:38 +0100, Grozdan wrote:
>2009/11/4 compn <tempn at twmi.rr.com>:
>> i am tired of supporting rc2
>> by 'supporting' i mean telling people to upgrade.
>>
>> i am going to remove references to it from download page
>> and move rc2 news to news-archive.
>>
>> any objections?
>
>I agree with this. Way too often people come asking (on forums, irc,
>mailing lists) about problems encountered on ancient rc2 and this make
>it even worse when distros pick it up as they see it as "official",
>yet none of the mplayer devs and more involved users advice to use it
>and entourage SVN instead. I'm surprised by the resistance or
>indifference to put a new rc on the front page, does it really take so

its not resistance. its just lack of time and developers. why not make
mplayer releases for us? we will gladly link to and support releases
made by 3rd parties.

other people are chiming in on irc. they want rc3 released and possibly
an rc4 (since rc3 is a few months old now).

i was waiting for diego to do something with rc3.

i really dont care about releases. if i do one it will just be an
svn tarball, with minimal testing. i wont name it rc4, i will go with
mplayer-(svnrev). there will be no backports of features/fixes/security.

-compn