[MPlayer-dev-eng] fixed-vo in VDPAU

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Wed Nov 4 10:21:59 CET 2009

On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 10:12:11AM +0100, Dan Oscarsson wrote:
> I think, if you specify a position (or alignment with a side of the
> screen) or a size, on the command line (or config file) mplayer should
> start by positioning window and size as specified. If no position is
> specified - window manager should position window. If no size is
> specified - movie native size should be used.

That would lose the current behaviour of making the window appear
centered though.

> After mplayer have started and displayed its window, its position should
> not be changed by mplayer if the user have moved it.

Was implemented by one of my patches.

> And if user have,
> after initial display, changed window size, mplayer should not change
> the size (even if a new movie have an other native size).

That would lead to quite a few issues. Keep in mind that not all vos
(e.g. x11) can do scaling.

> There could be an option that tells mplayer to reset window display to
> default for each movie display, but default should be not to change
> users manual changed done to visible window.

Problem is that there are about as many opinions on what the "correct"
way is as there are people on this list.