[MPlayer-dev-eng] mpg123 / mp3lib 64bit SSE code

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Mon Mar 30 12:38:38 CEST 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 12:06:29PM +0200, Thomas Orgis wrote:
> Am Mon, 30 Mar 2009 11:35:16 +0200
> schrieb Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de>:
>
> > Did you already port all the other changes?
>
> I am not aware of additions that are missing. The official mpg123
> contains a load of bugfixes and enhancements, compared to the version
> the MPlayer mp3lib is derived from.

Which version is that?  Did you inspect all the changes that were made
since?

> We did port the 32bit SSE and 3DNowExt optimizations from MPlayer.
> Is there something I overlooked in particular?

What about the AltiVec optimizations?

> > No problem, just let me ask the following heretic question?  Why not add
> > a fast floating-point MP3 decoder to FFmpeg?
>
> I am not familiar with ffmpeg code and what synergies it might bring.

FFmpeg is the world's multimedia engine.  Your code would be used by
everything that decodes pictures and sound basically.

> One argument against just merging with ffmpeg may be that a standalone
> library for "just" MPEG audio has its uses and may be easier to port to
> something like the Sony PSP (which happened) or some DSP chip (which
> happened, too;-).

I don't see a point in having multiple competing libraries for each and
every multimedia format.  The wheel just gets reinvented dozens of
times.  FFmpeg already makes libmpeg2, liba52, libvorbis (for decoding),
libmad and soon libfaad obsolete.

Diego