[MPlayer-dev-eng] mpg123 / mp3lib 64bit SSE code

Thomas Orgis thomas-forum at orgis.org
Mon Mar 30 12:06:29 CEST 2009

Am Mon, 30 Mar 2009 11:35:16 +0200
schrieb Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de>:

> Did you already port all the other changes?

I am not aware of additions that are missing. The official mpg123
contains a load of bugfixes and enhancements, compared to the version
the MPlayer mp3lib is derived from.
We did port the 32bit SSE and 3DNowExt optimizations from MPlayer.
Is there something I overlooked in particular?

> No problem, just let me ask the following heretic question?  Why not add
> a fast floating-point MP3 decoder to FFmpeg?

I am not familiar with ffmpeg code and what synergies it might bring.
Perhaps it would make sense... or perhaps it would also make sense to
just make ffmpeg use libmpg123 for fast floating point decoding (did you
mean that?). I already thought about adding libmpg123 support to
libsndfile, for example -- not everyone needs to use the specific
features of libmpg123.
One argument against just merging with ffmpeg may be that a standalone
library for "just" MPEG audio has its uses and may be easier to port to
something like the Sony PSP (which happened) or some DSP chip (which
happened, too;-).

Alrighty then,

Thomas.