[MPlayer-dev-eng] Default OSD and subtitle font sizes

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sat Mar 7 16:08:37 CET 2009

On Sat, Mar 07, 2009 at 03:53:51PM +0100, Grigori Goronzy wrote:
> Grigori G wrote:
> > the default OSD and subtitle font sizes -- 6% and 5% of the movie diagonal
> > -- are ridiculously big in my opinion. This especially gets bad with
> > subtitles, which sometimes stack up over the whole screen.
> >

> I'd like to warm this up again.  Here's an example screenshot that shows
> how much of the screen can be occupied by OSD and subtitles with the
> default settings and freetype subtitle rendering:
> http://chown.ath.cx/~greg/uploader/files/huge.png
>
> Does nobody care about having sane and usable defaults?

Clearly what is "sane and usable" depends on how well your eyes work
and how sharp you display device is (small text can be hard to read on
TVs).
That said I have
subfont-text-scale=3
subfont-osd-scale=4
in my config file, and I don't mind changing the MPlayer defaults to
e.g. those values if there is no opposition to it.