[MPlayer-dev-eng] Bugzilla (1412) patch for negative WinID under Windows

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Mon Mar 2 12:29:14 CET 2009

On Sun, Mar 01, 2009 at 03:19:12PM -0500, David Bolen wrote:
> My apologies if this is an inappropriate followup for a Bugzilla
> entry, but I'm unsure whether there is a preference to see patch
> submissions via this list versus Bugzilla.

Patch submissions belong here. Bugzilla is a good place to store
long-term requests, but often nobody has time to explicitly check it.

> I recently opened bug 1412 (and attached a patch) for negative -wid
> arguments failing to attach to the specified window under Windows, for
> both the gl and direct3d drivers.  This creates sporadic failures when
> using mplayer in an embedded mode.

I prefer to reserve negative numbers for future uses, thus your patch
seems inappropriate (also it only works out of the "luck" that Windows
defined -1 as the invalid handle value, so your fix might still leave
issues on other systems).
Instead I made -wid take a 64 bit integer (though that means you'll have
to remove the negative number hack from your frontend again...).