[MPlayer-dev-eng] Remove libass

Evgeniy Stepanov eugeni.stepanov at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 19:07:03 CEST 2009

First of all, sorry for the late answer, my internet connection was down for
almost a week :(

We discussed this idea with Grigori, and since he actively develops libass;
and me, and nobody else here does not; and his version has some important
improvements at this point, it really makes sense to make the project at
code.google.com the official home of libass. Having libass as a separate, easily
accessible standalone library will make people like vlc developers,
distribution maintainers and others really happy :)

Unless someone volunteers to periodically merge patches from that project, I
think mplayer should also switch to external libass.

More comments inline...

On Monday 27 July 2009 00:03:05 Diego Biurrun wrote:

> > > Why?
> >
> > Mostly because it's not support by the build system yet.

Are there any real problems, or we just need to write some configure bits? If
libass could be set up as an svn external, the proposal will become much more
attractive.