[MPlayer-dev-eng] VA API support for MPlayer

Gwenole Beauchesne gbeauchesne at splitted-desktop.com
Mon Jan 5 11:41:15 CET 2009

Hi,

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008, Benjamin Zores wrote:

> Do you have any reference to which Intel drivers actually provide VA-API
> support and which chipsets are supported.

There are, currently, two drivers implementing VA API.

* IEGD 9.0.x: <http://www.intel.com/go/iegd/>
The Linux drivers are well hidden in the .exe... Also note this driver is
only compatible with older distributions, and thus X.org versions.

* GMA500: no public reference, it's mentionned in <va.h> ;-)
That's the driver I would recommend for newer distributions and I think
this is the one Intel OEMs will provide. You won't find that at intel.com,
you have to get through the people who sold you the machine.

If the OEM tell you they don't have it, that's either a lie or they have
not tried much, IMHO.

Regards,
Gwenole.